Tuesday, December 13, 2011

I'm a Farmer's Wife

Actually, I'm a CPA's wife. But, this new, fun, challenging project has me trying to convince that CPA to buy a farm! Because I want a little red barn (aka storage shed, painted red) to quilt in somewhere in the middle of nowhere. With a little flower garden and a vegetable garden and maybe some little chickens running around outside. I know, it's a long shot.

This is the beginning of my Quilt-A-Long. I'm a little behind as I was waiting for this particular fabric line to come out before I started this project. It's been a long time since I started a new quilt just for the sake of having a project. I recently promised myself, as I wrapped up a couple of unfinished projects, that I wouldn't start any new ones until my unfinished ones were...well, finished. Of course, I wouldn't truly be a quilter if I didn't have UFO's (unfinished objects), so I'm starting this one before finishing some others.

The 111 blocks that make this quilt are inspired by a Farmer's Wife Magazine survey from 1922. The question was this, "If you had a daughter of marriageable age, would you, in light of your own experience, have her marry a farmer?" Some of the winning responses were compiled in this book and two to four quilt blocks were designed to represent each response. The letters and the women that wrote them are amazing! This is such a fun project!


Part of me was insisting that I do this in Civil War reproductions. After all, that is the fabric of the era. But, part of me wanted to rebel. Do I dare piece a 20's-inspired quilt in modern prints and colors? I'm going against my gut this time and hoping that I like this quilt in five years...when it's finished. Nothing worse than finishing a quilt you don't like. I know...I'm doing it right now. Blah!

This is the start of 111 blocks. They are six inch blocks. They are so little and cute! I just love them!

Top: Century of Progress (this doesn't quite measure 6.5 inches, but I'm not about to remake that one. i'll fudge when i get to that point!), Left: Hovering Birds, Right: Flock; Bottom: Country Path
Top: Silver Lane (one of my favorites), Left: Basket Weave, Right: Bat Wing, Bottom: Big Dipper (another favorite. it's a pinwheel, so it's an automatic favorite.)
Top: Kitchen Woodbox (another fave), Left: Autumn Tints (I did the best I could with the colors to make it look like Autumn), Right: Attic Windows, Bottom: Basket
Top: Cut Glass Dish (yes, that has 51 tiny pieces crammed into a six inch square. amazing! i picked a fabric that i though looked like old fashioned china so that the block would really look like a cut glass dish.), Bottom: Hill and Valley (not my favorite. might remake. can't decide. think i need to learn to accept that with 111 blocks, not all will be favorites.)

It's my goal to journal more about my quilting life. It's a fun, often challenging, sometimes frustrating process. I want to remember more of the fun, challenging and frustrating parts (or, do I?) rather than just the end product.

Also, if I have ever made you a quilt, could you do me a favor, please? Take a picture of it and send it to me? I can't tell you how badly I wish I had a picture of each quilt I've ever made. I want to start compiling a quilt journal of each quilt I've ever made. And, with the cost of cotton going up so quickly, the cost of each quilt! Won't that be fun (or sad) to look back on in thirty years! Thanks!

No comments: